Monday, November 12, 2007

Escape to Noro

This Damn Baby Sweater is killin' me. So I dug into the stash and found something fast and satisfying: a bag. Last weekend one of my LYS's (see list on right - French Knots) had all their Noro at 40% off. I've never understood the lure of Noro. It's kind of scratchy, not very soft at all. The colors are sort of muddy. But it was 40% off, so... I found a pattern for a bag I liked in the Stitch 'n Bitch handbook that I remember had required Noro. I bought 3 skeins (usually $20/ea) of Noro Iro #40 which is 120 meters of 75% wool/25% silk. The original pattern called for 6 skeins of Noro Gemstones and that's extinct, so I used two strands of yarn together. It turned out super thick and sturdy.
In the book it shows the handles being sewn to the very top row of stitching but I liked this look better. I found a cool Tiger's eye charm that I'll dangle from it when it's done. Richard sewed me a liner (with pockets!) out of that beautiful blue sari material. I have the best husband in the world. Sorry, all you single gals, but I've got the best one and I'm not letting him go. Mmmm.
Anyways.. for the yarn around the handles I sort of butchered what was left of the last skein to get the blue, brown, and green lengths separately. I love it.

No comments: